Thursday, September 5, 2013

Mini review of Thunder Valley F1 1/12 scale “Formula Perfect” super kit for Ferrari 641/2

Apparently Thunder Valley F1 is back on track with Ferrari 641/2 detail kits and shipping them out to customers.

I've received my copy yesterday. Everything was packaged nicely and shipped on timely manner. Detail sets currently produced do not include turned parts for dumpers.

Overall impressions are positive. Spoiled by cheap and inexpensive photo-etch sets from China and Japan, I felt that there could be more PE parts for the price. But I guess it costs quite a bit more to produce those parts in USA. Besides, I understand that PE parts on rubber backing are even more expensive to make.

I especially like turned velocity stacks and cast in resin replacement air box base. All the turned parts look very good and their price to quality ratio is excellent for the money, in my opinion.

Wheel Nuts/Spindle set has to be ordered separately. Machined parts look very good to me. Again price to quality ratio is excellent for this set.

It is claimed on TVF1 site, that some of their detail sets provide more PE items compare to sets produced in the past under Perfect Parts brand. I've reviewed images I have of PP parts and beside washers and turned dumper's parts, I think TVF1 641/2 set covers pretty much same set of parts as PP set.

I have to wait till I actually build my 641/2 kit to make a conclusion on how much extra TVF1 set adds. But from visual review I think it looks to be a great value for the price and should add quite a bit of detail to the build of already excellent Tamiya kit.





Just for the sake of comparison I include a photo of PE sets provided in 1/12 scale MFH 643 conversion kit.

4 comments:

  1. Nice review, shame there has been some changes done to the original version. I must admit i have always been scared off by the lack of communication from some sellers. But it looks great and i would love to see it all coming together for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One item I would like to see are a scan of the instructions which will show what is actually covered by the pieces.

    Thanks, David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you - you got your stuff. A real shame TVF1 still owe lots of people lots of product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contact them directly, if they own you anything. They are really trying hard to address and deliver all missing products.

      Delete